Thursday, September 13, 2012

I am more than you think you see


I may not see as well as you do
And I may stumble a time or two
But I find delight in refrain
Feel sunshine, hear rain
As well, nay better, than you do.

I may not be formed in a way that you are used to
And my clumsiness may slow down our games too
But you should see what I do
With a paintbrush or two
I could teach you about beauty. And poetry too

 I may not be the brightest in my batch
And my speech may not be up to scratch
Though my thoughts are confined
I am loving and kind
My heart is open, generous and quite a catch.

Your words, I don’t hear them at all
And music can never hold me in thrall
But I can feel all you feel
And see all you reveal
I can’t hear; doesn’t mean I can’t sense it all.

By Dr Upreet Dhaliwal, Professor of Ophthalmology, Medical Humanities Group, UCMS & GTB Hospital, Delhi.

The poem was written by her on occasion of International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPwD) 2011 for my group 'Infinite Ability'.

Photo credit:
http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/images/view_photog.php?photogid=2125

2 comments:

  1. Really really nicely written... n truly inspirational... I believe each one of us is special in our own way. Lets make this world a divine place where each of us is human and each of us is special... where every one gets equal opportunity to grow and prosper...

    ReplyDelete